a. Until the appeal is adjudicated, it would appear the 'first-sale'
doctrine will no longer be available for digital content; whether books
or recordings. If there is no longer a first sale doctrine, then there
will be continued copyright in the work even though the law currently
ends copyright after life of composer/author + xyears. That basically
kills the need for copyright if content is digital.

b. Evaluation of a collection has to be done by an independent
person/company, not the donor or the donee. I suspect it would be up to
that person or company to decide how value is determined, and be able to
support it. It wouldn't matter what the valuation is unless the IRS took
the donor to court for fraudulent valuation deduction.
Thus: maybe the IRS will let us know if asked.

c. Much of what is online in Canada Virtual Gramophone, I was told by
their agent, was free to use, and used in my uncles updated edition,
Pioneers in Brass by Glenn D. Bridges (on CD-ROM.) And if the decision
in a. above is correct, no first-sale nor thus, end of copyright, there
would be no copyright in the work as it does not have any limit;
therefore not part of copyright law. The Supreme court must decide if it
wants to have perpetual copyright in everything digital or
not....otherwise digital does not fall under copyright law...currently.

My opinion as former Law Librarian and follower of copyright since
1960s...and reviewer of books on copyright for librarians. I really
don't thing Capital or anyone can have it both ways.

A reminder, Google copied books, illegally, and the Supreme Court asked
parties to settle. The authors did not settle, and so the judge decided
(AFTER WRITING THAT IT WAS INFRINGEMENT,) declared it was FAIR USE;
totally reversing himself. So I suspect the Supreme Court may decide for
the publishers of the content as well...another reason to self-publish,
and tell the corporations to go to hell.

Paul Jackson