Your best bet to resolve the issue(s) you are asking would be to ask the
lawyers at Electronic Frontier Foundation:
https://www.eff.org/pages/legal-assistance

     My take is even though (c) happens as soon as some content is
produced and made public with an end date for public domain, yet if it
is a licensed product with no end date (as copyright has,) and no first
sale, then it really can't be a copyright entity because there is no
chance for it to become public domain. It's a conflict of the law of
copyright.
     If the owner of the copyright is giving it away, then it is
basically free of copyright restrictions/limitations.
     I've told both EFF and my Congressional folks that copyright has
become so complicated that most people (and google) are doing what they
want, and unless they are making lots of money on plagiarism, or openly
apparent, their work is under the radar and are generally left alone. An
example is all the libraries digitizing their collection, making them
available online...most of that is public domain, but my guess is some
(c) material is structured under the section of preservation.

     Long before any licensing was available, many churches often copied
copyrighted songs and hymns (sometimes for extra copies of something
they purchased; illegal;) some still do without license, assuming there
is a license to do so. Orchestras, Libraries, and Concert bands, and
soloists, continue to copy parts lost, or a copy for the pianist, for
one another (illegally), yet feel this is perfectly normal and
authorized...mostly and likely because there hasn't been a court case
against such copying.

There may be some (c) help here: https://is.gd/bPRaXX  Lesley Ellen
Harris has been writing on copyright for many years.