Hi Richard,

I have no idea just what you may have there. However, it might be useful
to observe the material with some magnification to see (literally) if
there any clues. Perhaps, with the correct amount of magnification &
light, one could observe the modulation. You could also apply a magnetic
fluid like "Kyread" to a small area to see if it enhances the
visibility. You're description of the hub sounds like it may be European
although I haven't observed any reels of data tape in years.

That said, I have come across clear leader, both audio tape & film,
where one could observe the track configuration based on the linear
scratches.

Good luck with this,

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering