Hi Martin,

I have saved several cassettes that were assembled with screws for those
occasions when I have to re-shell a cassette tape. Sometimes, I steal
just the pads to return the cassette in question to it's best possible
condition before transferring the audio.

Like Lou, I (usually) resort to Nakamichi decks for transfer for a host
of reasons. Recently, I transferred several cassette tapes and my
beloved Naks wouldn't completely play about half of them. I had to
resort to another dual capstan deck for those cassettes. FWIW, Nakamichi
decks weren't the only decks that came with dual capstan transports and
pressure pad lifters. Several brands produced audiophile grade machines
with dual capstan transports and pressure pad lifters that had specs as
good as most Nakamichi's.

Cheers!

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering