Good morning.

I’m researching the “Kilroy Was Here” graffiti movement during WWII. During that and subsequent wars, American service personnel would write “Kilroy Was Here” on surfaces through different theaters around the world. Some claimed they were the “real” Kilroy or know who was. Popularity spread to and around the United States, becoming a favorite tag to write during Halloween pranks and small-time burglaries, in newspaper advertising and society pages.

In late 1946, the Mutual Broadcasting System program “Spotlight on America” and its sponsor, the American Transit Association, held a contest that asked listeners to write in with the most compelling stories that they either were the real Kilroy or knew who was. “Spotlight” ran Friday nights at 10 p.m. EST from 1946-1947. I’m particularly interested in those episodes that aired on Nov. 22 and Dec. 6, 1946. The winners were announced on Nov. 22, 1946, and followed up on Dec. 6. But I haven’t been able to locate any recording of those shows.

Anyone familiar with the show or know of other sources I might contact or consult, such as any historians of MBS? Anyone know of these particular episodes?

Thanks, and all the best,

Scott

S. Scott Lunsford
Associate Professor
Writing, Rhetoric & Technical Communication
James Madison University