I've used Ronsonol lighter fluid to great effect in the past with no problems.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Howard Sanner
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] [AESHC] Cleaning grease pencil off discs

I recently (as in yesterday) acquired some Speak-o-Phone discs. Unlike others I have, which are recorded on bare aluminum, these have a lacquer or acetate coating on an aluminum substrate. (I'm not going to strike a match to find out if it's acetate or lacquer!)

One disc has two bands. The inner one has been drawn through using grease pencil in a pseudo-sine wave shape like you might use to scratch out a line of text. I'd like to remove the grease pencil and try playing this band. The band without grease pencil is Lily Pons on the Ford Sunday Evening Hour from 1941.

So does anyone know how to remove grease pencil like this without damaging the disc?

Thanks.

Howard Sanner