Hi JD,

You most likely have a Stenorette tape.

Stenorette was a German dictation format made by Grundig in the 1960s. It came as a 3” reel inside a plastic cartridge, BUT very often, Stenorette reels came as regular-looking 3” reels. The machine had no capstan — it was pulled by the reel motors, so the speed would drop as the reel played on. Normal playing speed was 1-7/8 ips.  There is also a loop of tape at the start of the reel for threading the cartridge onto the machine.

The caveat to this is the reel itself. On the bottom side, it’s a regular cine hub. But the top side is a round hole that will not fit on a regular tape deck. Stenorette decks are on Ebay fairly cheap so that’s probably the way to go.

https://obsoletemedia.org/grundig-stenorette/

https://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/ADM001/S011.htm

Jeff