From: "Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List"
To:<[log in to unmask]>
Sent:Thu, 25 Jul 2019 09:54:33 +0100
Subject:Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette pressure pads

 I have two double auto-reverse decks made by Pioneer and Technics.
 None have pad-lifters. They also do not have azimuth adjusters. The
 irritation with these decks is that can I set up two cassettes to
play
 in sequence and cap. the output with Audacity. However whilst the
side
 1s play OK, the side 2s are dull and muffled. I then find that the
 heads are clogged up and need cleaning.

 So I have a Nak. with pad-lifter and all is well - it plays both of
 the cassettes sides quite clearly. BUT its labour intensive requiring
 each side of one cassette to be played at a time with manual
turnover.
 At least Audacity can continue recording throughout.

 My conclusion is that if cassettes are a tad oldish they will shed
and
 clog the heads - caused by the pressure pads. Its a pity the pressure
 pads can't be simply removed for non-pad-lifter auto-reverse decks.

 BTW I'm only digitising folk music programmes likely aired on AM, or
 radio plays. So I'm not too bothered about azimuth adjustments.

 CJB

 P.S. I've heard that folks use PTFE spray (in micro quanitities) to
 lubricate the heads and tape path. Would this stop the tape shedding?

 On 25/07/2019, Tim Gillett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 > Hi Corey,
 >
 >  I'm aware of a number of non Nak brands such as Sony, Pioneer,
 > Sansui, Akai, Tandberg, Revox,  all with  dual capstan mechs, but
 > not of any with the lifter.
 >
 > Of course there were a ton of dual capstan decks made, but most of
 > them for the purpose of reverse operation without having to flip
the
 > cassette over.
 >
 > The only non Nak dual capstan decks with a pressure pad lifter that
 > know of  are ones which I've modified myself with a custom made
 > lifter.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Tim

There