Is there a reason that authority records for some military installations that are existing and under the latest name (I assume) are indicated as "not valid as a geographic subdivision" while many others are indicated as valid?

I understand that a former name would not be entered as a subdivision, as in this example:

151  Camp Dix (N.J.)

551  ǂw b ǂa Fort Dix (N.J.)

667  SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a subject. Works about this place are entered under Fort Dix (N.J.).

But I am not sure why other military facilities are treated variously.  Here are examples (these selected examples are LC-created or LC-edited records).

======

151  Naval Air Station (Dallas, Tex.)

667  SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a geographic subdivision.

(There is no indication that this is a former name.)

151  Naval Air Station (Miramar, Calif.)

667  SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a geographic subdivision.

(There is no indication that this is a former name.)

151  Fort Detrick (Frederick, Md.)

667  SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a geographic subdivision.

(There is no indication that this is a former name or that it no longer exists.)

151  Naval Weapons Station (Charleston, S.C.)

667  SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a geographic subdivision.

(There is no indication that this is a former name.)

======

Versus:

======

151  Fort Lewis (Wash.)

781 0  ǂz Washington (State) ǂz Fort Lewis

151  Brunswick Naval Air Station (Me.)

781 0  ǂz Maine ǂz Brunswick Naval Air Station

151  Naval Air Station Whidbey Island (Wash.)

781 0  ǂz Washington (State) ǂz Naval Air Station Whidbey Island

151  Naval Station Norfolk (Va.)

781 0  ǂz Virginia ǂz Naval Station Norfolk

======

Perhaps some bases were dismantled.  Would that qualify for not being valid as a subdivision?  If that disqualifies it, should that situation be recorded in the record?

Many authority records for similar names simply have no indication of usage as a subdivision.

Ed Kazzimir

ARLIS