The LC superseded versions show that the record for "TLS companions"
originally had a 430 from "Times literary supplement. $b TLS companions."
Since the variant was really for the name of "TLS, ..." itself and not "TLS
companions" it got moved ("derived") to the "TLS, the Times literary
supplement". I agree that as a variant of "TLS, ...", "Times literary
supplement (1969- )" would be be preferred.

Having the 430 on the main "TLS, ..." authority means that it can redirect
users to both "TLS companions," the University of Chicago series, and "TLS
companions (Hammersmith, London, England)," the Harvill series, where "430
0 Times literary supplement. $b TLS companions" was never added.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota