I’m glad to know I haven’t lost my mind (at least not entirely.)

I do think it would be nice to adopt verbiage more like LAC, though, particularly since in the Beta RDA, the lack of structure will make things more confusing. Even in chapter 6, it is only clearly talking about authorized access points if you go back and read the beginning of the chapter. When you’re looking for something else and stumble across this (as I was) it’s already confusing enough. Once things are no longer organized into chapters, it will be even more confusing. LAC’s clarification may be technically unnecessary, but it does clarify to the person stumbling across this instruction without thinking of authority at the moment that it is talking about authorized access points, not transcribed titles.

Preston

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Adam L Schiff
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Initial articles question

This is in PSs for chapter 6, which is about describing works and expressions and creating access points for them.  It isn’t about transcribing titles proper from title pages or other sources for manifestation information, which goes in the 245 field.

These instructions are used for the 130 and 240 fields in MARC records (also 630, 730, 830 and title portions of works in other 6XX, 7XX, and 8XX fields) and of course for formulating work access points in authority records.

Adam Schiff

Principal Cataloger

University of Washington Libraries