ILSs were good at interpreting such notes as those regarding where a serial was indexed, but not the 700s.  I remember telling someone maintaining our joint catalogs that 700 #2 meant "it contains."  She was very, very surprised and created some language to indicate such containment in a work.  Also in the old days the III display, by showing the record in a card catalog format, made reading the catalog easier for the patron.
Those days are gone, especially with the format of WorldCat.

Gene Fieg

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:18 AM Benjamin A Abrahamse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks that makes sense.

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Charles Croissant
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] 100/240 vs 100/700

Hello Ben,

I cataloged this manifestation De rerum natura for our library, so I can speak to the question you just raised:

The manifestation contains the full text of Lucretius's De rerum natura, which the author divided into 6 books ("libri").

The Latin title used on this manifestation translates as "Six books on the nature of things."

So it is not the case that this manifestation contains only Book 6 of De rerum natura; rather, it contains the entire work. Thus, the access point for this manifestation has no subfield n, but rather uses the preferred to title for this work as a whole, which is simply De rerum natura (see NAR n  81120503).

regards,

Charles Croissant

Saint Louis University