Print

Print


Hi Richard,

Yes, that was a sweeping statement, meant to raise the awareness of 
those who use the internet (Cloud) which, includes the vast majority of 
us and our offspring. The fact is that most, if not all, who rent server 
space use some kind of data compression to save space (and $). Most will 
not tell what they use. You can buy data compression/encryption software 
that will return bit-for-bit. Some are OK with the concept, some are 
not. One possibility is to use a code (There are many variants) in the 
metadata of the files you plan to store to insure that you get the same 
files back.

Here is another sweeping statement:

I try and avoid those that do data tracking. ALL OF THEM (can you say 
VPN?) and, I plan to disengage completely from all social media by the 
first of the year because of data tracking regardless of your settings 
(preferences). I do however, use Dropbox. At least, temporarily. I plan 
to dump them as soon as my paid service runs out due to slow upload 
speeds. I have a 70Mbps service but Dropbox is very slow to upload, 
about a third, or less, of what I have available (Can you say 
/throttling/?). I don't use Backblaze because I clone my boot drives 
instead of doing backups.

Apologies to the list for being way off topic.

Da Ole' curmudgeon,

Corey


Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net

On 10/6/2019 11:24 AM, Richard L. Hess wrote:
> Hi, Corey,
>
> That is a sweeping statement that I think needs clarification.
>
> My take on this statement is:
>
> Google Photos: True if you select the unlimited option, not true if 
> you pay for the storage.
>
> Dropbox: The only compression that they use is perhaps totally 
> transparent data compression on the server side (I have no evidence of 
> that) but they deliver files back to you as you sent them. While 
> originally running on Amazon Web Services, they have migrated to their 
> own multi-location cloud.
>
> Backblaze: Although not a cloud service per se, but rather a backup 
> service, I believe they do de-dupe your files and only save one copy, 
> but otherwise they give you back what you sent in (again, they may use 
> sever side lossless data compression).
>
> Amazon Web Services/Glacier/etc: These services give you back what you 
> put in.
>
> There are many others, but these are some I've looked into over the 
> past few years. At the moment, I use the first three and had long had 
> a thought about using AWS/Glacier.
>
> I don't know a good solution that meets the OPs requirements except 
> perhaps splitting items between a service which allows passwords (paid 
> service) and the Internet Archive for the free-access stuff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On 2019-10-06 1:44 p.m., Corey Bailey wrote:
>> Hi Laurent,
>>
>> Know that almost all on line storage uses some kind of data 
>> compression. Besides your password requirement, you need to consider 
>> which type of data compression will best suit the needs of your 
>> material.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Corey
>>
>> Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
>> www.baileyzone.net
>>
>
>