I would be asking the people at your educational institution about
supplying the server space to host such a repository. They may have server
space of their own available or they may have some kind of special deal
with a company like Microsoft or Google where their students and staff have
access to cloud storage. While there are some sites of somewhat dubious
heritage that will give you space for free, most reputable sites will
charge for the amount of space you are likely to need.

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 15:47, Laurent Bellemare <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> As part of my masters in musicology, I have started digitizing archive
> material that relate to the gamelan music community in Montreal, Canada.
> These would be flyers, posters,  program notes, letters, reports, audio
> recordings and videos related to Indonesian gamelan since it started
> flourishing in the city in the late 80's. My goal is to create an online
> repository where all existing archives about gamelan in Montreal are
> accessible.
>
> I am ready to start uploading some files, but am facing a wall as I do not
> know which platform to use to create such archives. I was recommended
> Internet Archives (https://archive.org/ ), but my issue with this website
> is that it doesn't have the option to control the archives' access with a
> password. The password requirement is not to conceal information, but to
> prevent potential copyright issues if certain documents are not allowed to
> be made public (such as TV show appearances that do not belong directly to
> the gamelan community).
>
> For now, the main purpose is to create a Cloud or repository to allow
> students of a specific seminar to be able to dig into archives. I could
> temporarily use the cloud  https://mega.nz/ to fulfill that purpose,
> although in the long term I would surely need a platform with more storage
> capacity as more material will be digitized.
>
> Ideally, I am looking for a platform meeting these criterias:
>
> -Free (ideally)
> -Accessible online. Must not be a software
> -Can support a large quantity of files
> -Can support audio, video, .pdf and image files
> -Can be secured with a password
>
> Does such a platform exist? I was told by at least one person that
> different types of archives should be hosted on different platforms
> depending on their format and ownership (i.e. excerpts from 90's TV shows
> in which gamelan was featured).
>
> Needless to say that all of you have much more experience than me in
> archiving, so any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Laurent Bellemare,
> Étudiant en musicologie
>

> end
> --

*       James Perrett
*       JRP Music Services, Alresford, Hampshire, U.K.
*       Audio Mastering, Restoration, Recording and Consultancy
*       Phone +44 (0) 777 600 6107
* e-mail [log in to unmask]
* http://www.jrpmusic.net