Position Title: Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Requisition Number: 0206073048
Location New York City
Position Status: Full-Time
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Metadata and Resource Support Services, the Catalog and Metadata Librarian manages metadata creation, remediation and authority control for The New School Libraries & Archives materials for all formats. The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian is responsible for original and complex cataloging in all bibliographic and physical formats, including monographs, serials, audiovisual materials, images, and electronic resources. This person is also responsible for running reports regarding bibliographic data of collection.
- Perform original & complex copy cataloging of libraries & archives materials in multiple formats including music, serials and special collections
- Lead library metadata related workflow and projects with support from the assistant director.
- Perform general catalog maintenance such as bibliographic records enhancement, reclassification, holdings and item record editing
- Oversees automated cataloging processes from fulfillment vendors and book jobbers.
- Troubleshoots problems between vendor and integrated library system (discovery, openURL, and Ex Libris Aleph catalog).
- Process and remediate both MARC and non-MARC metadata in various systems and applications
- Handle off-site processing and recall operations
- Participate in Reserves and Inter-Library Loan Processing
- With support from the Assistant Director, establish workflows and create documentation for various technical services operations related to metadata creation and maintenance
- Gathers, maintains and reports key metrics (including usage, cost comparison, etc.) for quarterly and periodic reports
- Provide training to other libraries and archives departments when appropriate
- Participates in professional activities and committee assignments within the Libraries, on campus, and in professional associations
- Maintains a current knowledge of national and international developments and trends in cataloging, metadata, and bibliographic and authority control.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Experience in cataloging; knowledge of RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, MARC21 formats, and authority control
- Experience using an Integrated Library System such as Ex Libris’ Aleph, Voyager, or other integrated library system.
- Reading knowledge in music and music cataloging
- Experience using OCLC Connexion, Record Manager or other bibliographic utility for cataloging
- Familiarity with electronic cataloging support tools, such as Classification Web and Cataloger’s Desktop
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite
- Experience working in an academic library, especially in a technical services department
- Copy and original cataloging experience of music material, including audio-visual, electronic, digital as well as physical scores
- Knowledge or demonstrated interest in current trends and development in metadata standards including IFLA LRM, LC-PCC PS, other thesaurus vocabularies or terminologies (i.e. LCGFT, LCDGT, FAST), BIBFRAME, Linked Data and identity management
- Working knowledge of one or more non-MARC metadata formats, especially EAD, Dublin Core, MODS, VRA Core, DACS
- Familiarity with name, series, and subject authority cataloging procedures and national standards.
- Proficient in MarcEdit and/or OpenRefine and other metadata editing tools
- Experience with programming language(s) for batch-related MARC transformations (i.e. Python, PERL, XSLT)
- Working knowledge of basic SQL/CCL syntax
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to set priorities and accomplish goals
- Reading knowledge of one or more European or Asian languages