From: PCC LD4P2 Cohort List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Nancy Lorimer
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCC-LD4P2] BibFrame questions

I will chime in to start, though I certainly don't have all the answers. LC may need to answer some.

Initial articles.
BF does not tell you how to enter data, so I think we are mostly relying on old habits here. I have automatically been keeping the article in the instance title and removing it in the work title. I believe LC is doing the same in the regular fields. They do also have the extension bflc:titleSortKey, but I can't see that it is in the templates. We can put this question to Kirk.

PF: Yes, LC BIBFRAME participants are following RDA 6.2.1.7 for Work titles and are applying the Alternative to not include initial articles. For Manifestations/Instances (title proper), LC BIBFRAME participants are applying the principle of representation in RDA 2.3.1.4 and including initial articles.

ISBNs.
That's a good question. I think we go without hyphens because of MARC right, where it expects the hyphens to be generated? It is counter to RDA. I guess we might want to take into consideration that for the foreseeable future, all this data will be converted to MARC and we don't want to cause any hiccups.

PF: LC BIBFRAME participants are not transcribing hyphens in ISBNs.

Language qualifier
That too is a good question. We do have a field in AdminMetadata specifically for language of cataloging (Description language). I thought it was intended as the specific language of a title, but it has been used indiscriminately and I see it also is in there as description language. I don't actually that's correct and will bring it up today at the profiles group meeting.

PF: Language of cataloging (think subfield $b in the 040 MARC field) is only identified in BIBFRAME in the Admin Metadata area in the LC BIBFRAME profiles, in Description language. All other instances of language will relate to the languages associated with the resource being described.

Dates.
I don't think there is a difference, and the one should probably be removed now the RTs are working correctly. I think it may have got in there when they were not and we were doing a literal transcription only.

PF: This sounds like a Sinopia default Template topic.

LC class vs item. I always took it that class was for the LC class as far as it went and item for the specific manifestation being cataloged. But we will need to double check with LC.

PF: Yes, LC Classification Number is what would appear in the LC Classification schedules. It is not just what is in the subfield $a of the 050 field - it can extend to subfield $b in many cases. Classification item number are the elements appended to the LC Classification number to create the complete Call number.

Nancy