I'm not sure which  book I recommended, but Roland Gelatt wrote several
books under the title The Fabulous Phonograph. The first was in 1955;
others came later. Roland was considered at that point, one of the experts.
Later another book came out "From tinfoil to Stereo" by Wa;lter Welch,
audio archivist at Syracuse University. The University had acquired the
Bell collection about that time when ARSC was founded, 1966.
    There have been other books since, but I can't claim to know enough to
recommend others....especially about cassettes, although I owned one of the
first Sony portable cassette machines.
   Best wishes on your research.

Paul T. Jackson
Trescott Research