Laura Bolton was known back in the 50s and 60s for her recordings of
ethnic things on cylinders. Her collection moved from Columbia to
several different Universities including Archive of Traditional Music at
Indiana University, as well as the Library of Congress. Her name is on a
collection now at Harvard University and the EthnoCenter at Columbia
University. Here are links.

All about Laura Bolton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Boulton

There's actually a listing of the libraries here with ethnology
recordings: http://guides.library.ucla.edu/ethno/archives

Library of Congress collection: http://bit.ly/2r3ljaZ

Harvard collection:
https://library.harvard.edu/collections/laura-boulton-collection

Columbia University: http://www.ethnocenter.org/about

Indiana University: https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/21233

https://libraries.indiana.edu/atm-history

https://libraries.indiana.edu/archives-traditional-music George List and
Frank Gillis were the first administrators of this Archive and ARSC met
at Indiana for our first national annual conference (having met 3 other
times for organizational processes in Dearborn, Syracuse, and Library of
Congress.) Frank became good friends with us; was a jazz and big band
pianist for Casa Loma Big Band...later, ragtime.

There was a large ethnology program at one of the universities in
California; probably USC. ARSC had several members from there.
https://libraries.usc.edu/databases/ethnomusicology-global-field-recordings

Many started around or just before ARSC got started in 1965.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul Jackson

*Trescott Research - Paul T. Jackson *

2503 Natalie Lane, Steilacoom, WA 98388