Hi Lou,

Not sure about the 4-5 grams (which seems like a lot!) but, different
size styli are very handy for things like avoiding the wear pattern on
wide groove discs. One does not have as many choices when it comes to
micro groove discs but different sizes can help there too. Different
shapes can help as well. It's all about getting the best possible result.

Best,

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net