I just downloaded the acoustic take from archive.org and cut out the first
half leaving a 4:35 track of an issued side b -shorter than mine and pitched
correctly. I'm wondering if I have an unissued take?-Mickey

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary A. Galo
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [EXTERNAL] [ARSCLIST] George Gershwin, Second
Rhapsody, Serge Koussevitzky, Boston Symphony Orchestra,

Hi Ben,

Do you mean of Gershwin playing his own music?

Both the 1924 acoustic and 1927 electrical recordings of Rhapsody in Blue,
with Whiteman's Orchestra, were issued in this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Historic-Gershwin-Various/dp/B00000D9VR

It’s long out of print, but there are plenty of used copies available. The
electrical recording was conducted by Nat Shilkret, even though his name
does not appear on the record. The American in Paris in that set, conducted
by Shilkret "features" George Gershwin playing celeste. The transfers were
done by Ward Marston, and are very good, with everything pitched correctly
(unlike a 2-CD Pearl set of historic Gershwin, in which the two Rhapsody
recordings were offered well over 1/4-step apart, on the same CD!!! Decency
prevents me from naming the transfer engineer).

The Columbia recordings of the 3 Preludes were issued here, along with
several other recordings of him playing:

https://www.amazon.com/Gershwins-Time-Original-Gershwin-1920-1945/dp/B00000FCKN/ref=pd_sbs_15_t_0/134-4884715-9970267?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00000FCKN&pd_rd_r=246d5b9a-a910-456f-a0a7-b9ada3b791b6&pd_rd_w=Z9Z3T&pd_rd_wg=xAAKV&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=XJVHR5FP1ZBYJBFMZRW2&psc=1&refRID=XJVHR5FP1ZBYJBFMZRW2

This CD, from the 1970s, features Gershwin's Duo Art piano roll and Michael
Tilson Thomas conducting an ad-hoc ensemble in the original Grofé jazz band
orchestration.

https://www.amazon.com/Gershwin-Rhapsody-Blue-Masterworks-Expanded/dp/B0001ENYGC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RDKRNLS83A4V&keywords=michael+tilson+thomas+gershwin&qid=1573248734&sprefix=gershwin+tilson%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-4

Gershwin's Duo Art roll was of the version for piano alone, but the
orchestra parts were edited out of the roll, leaving only the solo part
intact, for this recording.  Although reproducing piano rolls are often of
limited value, this venture is surprisingly successful. And, it's the only
way you'll hear Gershwin play the Rhapsody, with jazz band, uncut. Both of
the recordings with Whiteman's Orchestra are cut, to fit the piece on two
78-rpm sides.

Back in the 1970s Publisher's Central Bureau in Avanel, NJ issued a 3-LP set
on the Mark 56 label of live and rehearsal material with Gershwin playing
and conducting. The box was titled "George Gershwin Conducts." I believe
Mark 56 had previously released this material as 3 separate LPs. I'm sure
some of this stuff has been bootlegged on CD, but I don't know where, at
this point in time.

I hope this is what you're looking for.

Best,
Gary

____________________________

Gary Galo
Audio Engineer Emeritus
The Crane School of Music
SUNY at Potsdam, NY 13676

Arnold Schoenberg

Igor Markevitch

"If you design an audio system based on the premise that nothing is audible,
on that system nothing will be audible."
G. Galo

Koussevitzky, Boston Symphony Orchestra,

Hello everyone,
Are there any recordings anywhere of George Gershwin
<https://www.universitypressscholarship.com/search?f_0=keywords&q_0=George
Gershwin>, Second Rhapsody
<https://www.universitypressscholarship.com/search?f_0=keywords&q_0=Second
Rhapsody>, Serge Koussevitzky
<https://www.universitypressscholarship.com/search?f_0=keywords&q_0=Serge
Koussevitzky>, Boston Symphony Orchestra?
<https://www.universitypressscholarship.com/search?f_0=keywords&q_0=Boston
Symphony Orchestra>

Regards,
Ben Roth