Lou,

In my experience, which includes many student and community stations, where DJs  can’t keep their hands off the adjustments, is that too light tracking is the real record wrecker.  Light tracking force frequently causes mistracking in which the stylus resonates in the groove, tearing up the groove walls.  That distortion is with you for the life of the record.

Bob