Tracking force expressed in grams is not an *a priori* value as each
different pickup's moving system achieves ideal compliance at different
forces. As a rule-of-thumb, too light a tracking force is far more
destructive to the grooves of a disc than a heavier one, assuming the
playback system is correctly set up. Comparison and experimentation are
absolutely necessary to achieve the best playback results. Furthermore,
ideal tracking force varies among the several stylus assemblies for the
same cartridge. The more robust cantilever required for broad groove
shellac, aluminum  lacquer, and vinyl discs requires a higher tracking
force that would be unsuitable for a stereo Lp. Anti-skating, and stylus
size and shape are additional factors for consideration.   Whether playback
is intended for preservation or entertainment purposes, the foregoing
parameters must all be taken into account.

DDR

--
1006 Langer Way
Delray Beach, FL 33483