Dear colleagues,

as you might be aware, the Encoded Archival Guide (EAG) is an XML standard going along with the Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and the Encoded Archival Context - Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families (EAC-CPF).

Initially created as EAG 0.2 in the context of the Censo-Guía de los Archivos de España e Iberoamérica, a portal presenting information about and from archival institutions in Spain and Latin America, the current version, EAG 2012, has been developed within the APEx project (Archives Portal Europe network of excellence) in response to the International Standard for Describing Institutions with Archival Holdings (ISDIAH) as published by the International Council on Archives (ICA).

EAG 2012 is currently used within the Archives Portal Europe and other national and international aggregation projects from the archives, cultural heritage and historical research domains, and it is maintained by the Archives Portal Europe Foundation in close collaboration with the Technical Subcommittee on Encoded Archival Standards (TS-EAS) at the Society of American Archivists.

Call for comments

Being in its seventh year, the Working Group on Standards (WGoS) within the Archives Portal Europe Foundation has decided that EAG 2012 is up for a major revision. Starting the process now, we want to hear from the community about elements and features that they might have been missing so far, but we also want to take into account some developments from the last few years, such as:

  • The most recent drafts of the Records in Context Conceptual Model (RiC-CM) and the Records in Context Ontology (RiC-O) developed by the Expert Group on Archival Description (EGAD) at the ICA;

  • The extension of schema.org with regard to an improved representation of digital and physical archives and their content (see https://www.w3.org/community/architypes/);

  • The ongoing major revision of EAC-CPF, from which EAG 2012 has taken some inspiration with regard to its structure, elements and attributes.

All information on the current EAG 2012 can be found on - and from - the EAG homepage at Archives Portal Europe and in our GitHub repository. On GitHub you can also find a list of all issues that have been registered so far as potential candidates for changes in a new version of EAG.

We would want to encourage feedback and comments being sent via GitHub as a central place to collect, review and follow up on potential future changes. Alternatively, you can address the WGoS via email ([log in to unmask]) and we will then include your feedback and comments on GitHub accordingly.

This call for comments will be open from Monday, 2 December 2019, until Friday, 27 March 2020

Next steps

WGoS will then review and collate all feedback, creating a first draft for a new version of EAG during the second half of 2020 with additional feedback rounds throughout 2021. The aim is to then publish a new version of EAG alongside the revised version of EAC-CPF, which is currently scheduled towards the second half of 2021.

Thanks very much in advance.

Best wishes,
Kerstin Arnold (Technical Coordinator, Archives Portal Europe Foundation)