Hello, Bob.
I think it has something to do specifically with OCLC Connexion; perhaps there is not a Unicode equivalent for Syriac that Connexion recognizes?
I also tried applying Joel Hahn's macro but there is only a macro going from Syriac script into Roman, not vice versa.
Sorry, I'm not being overly helpful here but thought I'd share my thoughts...:-)
Victor