I have noticed these too, and I think in many cases people are simply getting confused about the punctuation. Which is honestly easy to do.

As I said, Wilson, Pete. $t Works. $k Selections. $f 2019 implies that there is only 1 selection of Pete’s Works, but more than 1 expression of that sole selection. That situation doesn’t come up much.

Jessica

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Wilson, Pete
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Qualifiers for "Selections"

Thanks, Jessica and Steve.  I should have acknowledged that the $f and the parenthetical date in $k technically serve different, non-conflicting purposes, but I am guessing that the $f is rarely used in a “Selections” context with the intent of naming an expression.  I think when it is used in a “Selections” heading, it is usually meant (incorrectly now) to identify a particular work—a particular set of selections.  If I’m off base on that I’d love to be corrected.

There are more name-title records than I expected in the NAF with a year qualifier of 2018 or 2019 in an $f subfield.  I’m guessing that they are intended as work qualifiers rather than expression qualifiers, and many catalogers just haven’t adjusted.  I figured it’s either that or there’s less consensus than I thought.  Or maybe sometimes the dates really are intended to specify an expression of a base “Selections” work.

Pete