From: ARSC Library and Archives Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Walker, Lauren E
Sent: January 15, 2020 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIB] best practices for reading room access to copyrighted audio

Hello ARSC community,

My institution is trying to improve the experience in our reading room for patrons to listen to digitized audio recordings that are in copyright but available for listening onsite. While improving the technical ease of access, we are wondering how much we need to build restrictions into the technical infrastructure of serving this audio so that patrons are not able to easily take the audio files by emailing them or uploading them to a thumb drive and walking away the recordings. Since we will be using one specific computer as a listening station, some ideas so far are port blocking, an IP restricted server, a splash page to click through a use policy.

I am wondering if people can share their knowledge of best practices for providing access in a special collections reading room to audio that is in copyright.
What are institutions doing to provide access to recordings that can only be listened to in a library reading room and not made available for streaming online?
Are there tiers of access and restriction models?

Thank you,
Lauren

Lauren Walker
Head of Digital Projects
Harry Ransom Center | The University of Texas at Austin P.O. Box 7219 Austin, Texas 78713-7219
512-232-6955 office
www.hrc.utexas.edu<http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/>