NLS Operations Alert

No. 20-08

DATE         :  January 29, 2020

TO             :  Network Libraries

FROM        :  Kristen Fernekes, Head, Communications and Outreach Section

SUBJECT   :  The 2020 census is just around the corner!

In March, households across the country will begin receiving invitations to respond to the 2020 census. NLS wants to make sure that patrons are aware of, and participate in, the census. Census results play a large part in determining how government entities allocate hundreds of billions of dollars each year for services that communities rely on. We want to ensure that those we serve are not undercounted.

Network libraries can help by spreading the word about the census, answering patrons’ questions, and encouraging them to respond. One point to emphasize is that this year, for the first time, households will have three ways to respond to the census: online, by calling a toll-free number, or by mail. The questionnaire takes less time to complete than drinking a cup of coffee.

We encourage you to become familiar with the following resources:

Here are some suggested online and social media posts to help spread the word about the census. They’re built on the Census Bureau’s communications theme for this year’s count: “Shape Your Future: Start Here.” Feel free to use these or write your own! You can download photos from www.census.gov/library/photos.html to go with your posts (we suggest you use photos from the “2020 Census Preparation: 2018 Census Test Photos” folder). And be sure to add the hashtags #CountOnLibraries and #2020Census on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Your library’s website or newsletter

In mid-March, letters will go out to households around the country inviting them to respond to the 2020 census (www.census.gov). Why should you respond? Well, census results play a large part in determining how governments at all levels allocate hundreds of billions of dollars for services that communities rely on. But some groups of people, including those who are blind or disabled, historically have been undercounted. We at [name of your library] want to make sure all our patrons are counted and don’t miss this chance to shape their future! If you have questions about the census, we’re here to help: contact us at [phone number or email address].

Facebook / Instagram

Help shape your future in less time than it takes to drink a cup of coffee! In mid-March, your household will receive an invitation in the mail to respond to the 2020 census. The census plays a large part in determining how governments at all levels allocate hundreds of billions of dollars for services that communities rely on. Make sure YOU’RE counted! This year it’s easier than ever: you can respond online, by calling a toll-free number, or by mail! If you have questions, visit www.census.gov or contact [your library’s name and contact information]. #CountOnLibraries #2020Census

Twitter

Make sure YOU’RE counted in the 2020 census. You can help shape your future in less time than it takes to drink a cup of coffee! Visit www.census.gov or contact [your library’s name and contact information] for more information. #CountOnLibraries #2020Census

For more information contact: