Hello again everyone. Thanks for all the help I received with this, including some offline help from a person who checked the DNB’s citation. The 1643 date in the DNB comes from a contemporary diary entry noting the Countess’s death. So it seems pretty conclusive that the 1643 date is correct and everyone else (National Portrait Gallery, British Museum,  Bibliotheque National de France, thepeerage.com, Sotheby’s, etc. ad infinitum) is just repeating the same error.

But I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on how to properly convey this information in the authority record I need to create.

Thanks again everyone!

Jessica

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Robert J. Rendall
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Anna Sopia Herbert, Countess of Carnarvon

Her son Charles had a daughter also named Anna-Sophia who "died of the small-pox, unmarried, on Feb. 2 1694-5, in the 22nd year of her age" (The Peerage of England, 1768, via Google Books), so the two Anna-Sophias have probably been confused and the earlier date is probably correct for yours.

https://books.google.com/books?id=_GZUAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA618&lpg=PA618&dq=%22died+of+the+small-pox,+unmarried%22+dormer

Robert Rendall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Original and Special Materials Cataloging, Columbia University Libraries

102 Butler Library, 535 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10027

tel.: 212 851 2449  fax: 212 854 5167

C.V. Starr East Asian Library, Columbia University Libraries

307 Kent Hall, 1140 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027

tel.: 212 854 2579 fax: 212 662 6286

e-mail: [log in to unmask]