From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Bowers, Kate A.
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] question regarding using archives for NARs

We have just had a similar discussion at Harvard in mid-December where we have a cohort of about a dozen new NACO name trainees with at least half of them from archives or special collections.  The discussion included both trainees and reviewers and was directly addressing the question of citation of finding aids.

Our discussion concluded:

  1.  We could all use a template or model for collection citation.
  2.  We could all use a template or model for finding aid citation.  (We have not gathered post-holiday break to do this yet, but this is a great reminder that I need to schedule that!) A few points that were made:
     *   "Finding aid" does not belong in subfield b. It is not a "location" within the collection, it is a fully separate information source
     *   Model is likely to be something such as Archival resource title, date-date: finding aid $$b (data found) $$u link if finding aid online
  3.  Citation in NACO records should be for exactly what the NACO record creator looked at for the form of the name, which is very likely the finding aid, not the collection itself
  4.  Do we need always to cite the collection itself as the first 670 for the sake of cataloging warrant? Conclusion: if it isn't directly the source of the data in the NACO record, no. The points made were:
     *   Finding aid is evidence of cataloging warrant, further warrant for the existence of a NAR is not needed
     *   Collection citations typically are merely a subset of information in the finding aid citation, uninformative repetition
     *   Many NACO record creators are not the archival processing staff who handled the collection, so the collection itself is not the source of data in the NACO record
     *   Other catalogers are unlikely to be able to consult the collection itself, and information on the location of the data in the collection is not granular enough to get a cataloger to the source information, whereas the new finding aids that are likely to prompt name creation are also likely to be accessible online

Kate