Hello,

I am posting this for a colleague. Please reply to her Marie. Thank you.

Chris
Christine Fleuriel, MSLIS
Pronouns: She/her/hers

New Mexico VA Health Care System
1501 San Pedro SE
Albuquerque 87108
(505) 265-1711 ext 2248

Original question from a clinical psychologist on behalf of her patient:

                Hi Marie!

I hope this finds you well. I have a very random question for you and please share or redirect this question if it would be helpful. I have a Veteran who received three surgeries (stapedectomy) to correct otosclerosis in the military in 1987. After pulling medical records, Veteran stated no one documented what type of implant was placed. They made both plastic and metal implants at this time. Veteran is currently is unable to get MRIs because providers are wary if the implant is in fact metal.

My question for you: is there any kind of federal registry for medical implants? Is there any record locator for who the military contracted with for medical devices at this time? Or in certain areas? My thought it there could have only been so many devices possible, and there *should* be a way to identify it, but I could only think that your department might know how to search for this information.

My response:

That is a very interesting question.  I do not know the answer but I had an inkling that back in 1987 there wouldn't be an electronic database for implants.  Maybe in print format but not electronic.  I asked a very seasoned experienced nurse manager and she confirmed my idea that an "electronic" record would not have been kept back then.

I can dig around and asked colleagues; medical librarians in DoD but that might take time.  Would you like me to continue?

I asked for add'l info re: implant:

  *   Procedure at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland California
  *   Branch: Coast Guard
  *   Veteran was stationed on Yerba Buena island
  *   Confirmed that procedure took place in 1987

I'm at a loss.  I don't know where to go.  HELP?  Does anyone know a medical librarian or librarian in the Coast Guard?  Navy?

Regards,
Marie

Marie Carter, MLIS
Supervisory Librarian