From: PCC LD4P2 Cohort List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Thompson, Timothy <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 8:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCC-LD4P2] Question about series tracing?

The model we have been using at Yale is one that LC was previously using in its marc2bibframe2 converter. Here, the bf:hasSeries relation is from a bf:Instance, and its object is another bf:Instance, which stores the series statement information, and then links to the Series as a bf:Work. This approach has the advantage of grouping series statements when there is more than one (see examples 1 and 2 below). If a Series is modeled as a Work, then I don't see a reason why it couldn't have an Instance where Instance-level information (the series statement as it appears) is recorded.

Now, however, I see that LC has changed its converter algorithm so that the bf:hasSeries relation is from a bf:Work (Work-to-Work relation), and the series statement information is lumped together directly on the bf:Instance (see example 3 below). No attempt has been made to group series statements when there is more than one.

Best regards,
Tim

Example 1. Previous LC converter output
@prefix bf: <http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/bibframe/> .
@prefix bflc: <http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/bflc/> .
@prefix madsrdf: <http://www.loc.gov/mads/rdf/v1#> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix xml: <http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<http://example.org/8576364#Instance> a bf:Instance ;
    bf:hasSeries [ a bf:Instance ;
            rdfs:label "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn" ;
            bf:instanceOf <http://example.org/8576364#Work830-32> ;
            bf:seriesEnumeration "53." ;
            bf:seriesStatement "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ; 53" ],
        [ a bf:Instance ;
            rdfs:label "Test series" ;
            bf:instanceOf <http://example.org/8576364#Work830-33> ;
            bf:seriesEnumeration "54." ;
            bf:seriesStatement "Test series ; 54" ] .

<http://example.org/8576364#Work830-32> a bf:Work ;
    rdfs:label "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ;" ;
    bf:title [ a bf:Title ;
            rdfs:label "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ;" ;
            bflc:title30MarcKey "830 0$aColecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ;$v53." ;
            bflc:title30MatchKey "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ;" ;
            bflc:titleSortKey "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn ;" ;
            bf:mainTitle "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn" ] .

<http://example.org/8576364#Work830-33> a bf:Work ;
    rdfs:label "Test series ;" ;
    bf:title [ a bf:Title ;
            rdfs:label "Test series ;" ;
            bflc:title30MarcKey "830 0$aTest series ;$v54." ;
            bflc:title30MatchKey "Test series ;" ;
            bflc:titleSortKey "Test series ;" ;
            bf:mainTitle "Test series" ] .

Example 2. Current Yale output from Sinopia
@prefix dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
@prefix ns1: <https://w3id.org/arm/measurement/ontology/0.1/> .
@prefix ns2: <http://sinopia.io/vocabulary/> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix xml: <http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<https://trellis.stage.sinopia.io/repository/yale/f451e7b9-191b-406c-9263-880bed585952> a bf:Instance ;
    bf:hasSeries [ a bf:Instance ;
            bf:instanceOf <https://trellis.stage.sinopia.io/repository/yale/47a1a8e4-56bd-4dbc-8dde-55d86e4d340e> ;
            bf:seriesEnumeration "53" ;
            bf:seriesStatement "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn"@eng ] ;
    ns2:hasResourceTemplate "Yale:RT:BF2:Monograph:Instance:CtY" .

<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n2004046573> rdfs:label "Colecciůn Debate y reflexiůn" .

<https://trellis.stage.sinopia.io/repository/yale/47a1a8e4-56bd-4dbc-8dde-55d86e4d340e> a bf:Work ;
    rdfs:label "Colecciůn Debate y reflexiůn"@eng ;
    dcterms:relation <http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n2004046573> ;
    ns2:hasResourceTemplate "Yale:RT:BF2:Series:Work:CtY" .

Example 3. Current LC converter output
@prefix bf: <http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/bibframe/> .
@prefix bflc: <http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/bflc/> .
@prefix madsrdf: <http://www.loc.gov/mads/rdf/v1#> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix xml: <http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<http://example.org/8576364#Instance> a bf:Instance ;
    bf:seriesEnumeration "53",
        "54" ;
    bf:seriesStatement "Colecciožn Debate y reflexiožn",
        "Test series" .

<http://example.org/8576364#Work> a bf:Work ;
    bf:hasSeries <http://example.org/8576364#Work830-32>,

--