Hi, Andersen,

Thanks for responding. I like your idea. Let’s add it to our agenda for the next time we meet virtually. Take care and thanks.

From: Center for the Book state centers communication <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Cook, Andersen
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [External] Re: working in the age of coronavirus

Good morning from South Carolina,

I, too, am working from home (what a weird adjustment). At this time, I’m primarily rescheduling in-person author talks starting in August. I’m considering livestreaming author talks with just me and the author, but state agencies (such as the State Library, where the SCCFTB is based) and all of our public libraries are closed for the time being, so finding a venue would be a challenge. Additionally, this is dependent upon whether or not authors even want to participate in a livestream when we can’t guarantee book sales.

We had to cancel our fifth Literary Landmark unveiling for James Matthewes Legare in Aiken (so disappointing because the ALA president had planned to come! And the Read-In (for the second year in a row)! We also had to cancel the Letters About Literature award ceremony and postpone three author talks.

We aren’t involved in a state literary festival. We used to have one, Deckle Edge, but their event planners were not very strong. I wouldn’t be surprised if last year was the last year. For now, anyway.

Since many of us are working virtually, I wonder if there would be a way to do a marathon book reading, or something to highlight authors across the country for 24 hours or… something? It’s not a fully fleshed out idea, just a thought. Let me know if you’re interested in a good brainstorm! (This isolation thing is a struggle for me).

Thanks all – wishing you good health.

Andersen

Andersen Cook
Statewide Initiatives Coordinator
1500 Senate Street, Columbia, SC 29201

[log in to unmask]" alt="South Carolina State Library Logo">

Innovation | Collaboration | Participation | Preservation

Pronouns: she / her / hers