Thanks Sharon. Thanks Guy.

Should I leave the survey open? So far we’ve had 25 responses. Lots of good ideas and questions. Anyone can view the results after submitting a survey. I can also export the responses as a summary / PDF.

Here’s a summary to date, for reference.

May 6, 2020 meeting Preference
-Virtual Meeting 54.5%
-In Person @ LOC in D.C. 45.5%

Travel Bookings:
-87% have not booked
13% have booked

Comments:

I'm ok with however this works out. I just prefer in-person meetings with this group. I haven't made travel arrangements yet but have started the process with the budget office. Nothing is set in stone at this point.
After consulting with the Alaska Center for Book Board, Alaska is unlikely to travel to DC this year. So a virtual meeting would be most welcome!
I am local and therefore flexible about the outcome of the vote, whether it's virtual or in person.
I had not planned on going to the face to face meeting anyway.
No preference as to an in-person or virtual mtg. at this point. Thank You!
Sorry, am unable to attend this year.
Tessa Terry from the Nebraska Library Commission might reply as well.
I can absolutely understand the potential need have a virtual meeting for May. However, I want to be sure that we don’t skip out on meeting in person all together. If we can’t meet in person in May, can we please add a full day meeting after the National Book Festival? I’ll be honest, I’m very concerned that the face to face meetings between the centers might dry up if we don’t meet sometime in 2020. I was already worried about the meeting only being a day this year. Guy, if we meet online for May, please let it be well organized to optimize connection. (Ie do a call our for zoom rooms and organize times for a variety or discussions with us all together in the beginning and end). Guy, please help us stay connected with each other and the a Library of Congress.
While I would normally prefer to meet in person and find more value in those Idea Exchange meetings than a virtual meeting, this year we do not have the budget for someone to fly to D.C. If we go to a virtual meeting this year, I hope we reconsider again next year.
If Idea Exchange follows the usual format of offering guest speakers and opportunities to share activities among States, I think a virtual meeting would be a pale shadow of the in-person version. I'm sure this has been proposed before, but is it possible to combine Idea Exchange with NBF so that we don't have to make two trips to DC?
I'm choosing In Person because I think it is so valuable to see people, HOWEVER, I also will be totally fine to do a virtual meeting. It might be nice if there were a few times over the Idea Exchange Virtual "Day" (or couple of days) where more than one virtual meeting was happening so that people could choose which session to go to. Benefit; all sessions could be recorded and we could visit all of them later.
We will have a new staff member that will join this Idea Exchange. Ideally, she will be able to meet everyone in DC in person, but given travel issues around the coronavirus and the fact that two of us would need to travel, I think I can speak for my whole team and say we would prefer a virtual meeting.
I'm filling this in provisionally but will abide by whatever current LOC policy is for holding (and paying for) large meetings during a time of uncertain travel constraints.
thank you- either way is fine- preference for in person
I was going to be attending virtually anyway
If we cannot meet in person on May 6, could an alternative in-person date be considered?
I prefer in person. Who doesn't? Understand the virtual for sure.

Julianna Robbins
Program Manager
California Center for the Book
California Library Association
Facebook & Instagram: @CaliforniaCenterfortheBook
Mobile: 562-277-8168

California Center for the Book is a program of the California Library Association, supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.