Dear Guy and All,

Sorry for the delayed response! In Arkansas, the directive for teleworking occurred late last week; and we began doing so where possible at the State Library on Monday. I've been catching up with reading everyone's responses this morning (yesterday was my b-day, so I took the day off), and I'm grateful for all of the excellent ideas and overall words of encouragement. This may be a great time for all of us to look at our mission statements, and there are only 14 mission statements remaining on the State CfB ~ Mission Statements<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AP90iSfwL45nDp5D2ck4kSY6APzljKVgD4HSCNue5ug/edit?usp=sharing> sheet.

We had to cancel author events on March 16 and 17 we had planned in collaboration with the Arkansas Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission, and we are hopeful to have funding to work again on similar events next year. The Arkansas CfB does not sponsor a book festival; however, we are a supporter this year of the Six Bridges Book Festival in Little Rock (was April 23-26), arranged by the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS). That festival has been postponed to the fall, along with events related to the Big Read grant they had received to bring Tim O'Brien to the state.

I surveyed the 50 book clubs we support around the state prior to our telework mandate. Most of our public libraries are closed while the schools are closed, and of course; our book clubs that are in school libraries are not meeting. I'd like to be able to facilitate some virtual book club meetings, and much will depend on location in the state and connectivity.

I'm in Library Development at the Arkansas State Library, and we have been fielding many questions from our public libraries about connectivity, business continuity, and also on what to do with library materials potentially contaminated. You may be following that ALA has asked the preservation community about library materials and COVID-19,  and Jake Nadal's posting on Sunday to ALCTS has been the most helpful.

I am most concerned about our state-wide read program, If All Arkansas Read the Same Book. Our events are scheduled for July 17 and 18, and I do not think it is too soon for us to consider either rescheduling to later in the fall (if we are able to accrue/otherwise use the LSTA funds for this project after the Federal fiscal year closes), or a streaming/otherwise online option. These events have the most impact with the in-person factor, and I'm hopeful that we may be able to reschedule. But we will adapt! :)

You all also probably saw yesterday that the ALA annual conference has been canceled, and hopefully; we will all be together at the end of August for the National Book Festival!

As a lifelong Marylander myself, I wish you all a Happy Maryland Day! https://www.loc.gov/item/today-in-history/march-25?loclr=eatod#maryland-day

All the best,
Karen

Karen O'Connell
Coordinator of the Arkansas Center for the Book
Arkansas State Library
501-682-2874
https://library.arkansas.gov/