Hi from RI!

It's really great to hear from you all.

I love Sharon's quote, "diversification in delivery is our new programming priority"...think I'll send it to all our committees.

On March 1st we received our first grant rejection letter blamed on Covid 19, stating that the foundation board decided they wouldn't be able to accept any grant requests as they "needed to err on the side of conservatism because of the global meltdown due to Covid 19." It's pretty much been downhill since then, in terms of funding.

We've had to cancel all our Reading Across Rhode Island (One Book, One State) events and are planning a virtual event with the author for April 2nd. High school teachers on our programming committee are hosting A Virtual Evening for Educators the second week of April to discuss ways to bring students and adults together online, to talk about the statewide read.

It looks like we will also cancel all our Kids Reading Across Rhode Island events as well. That program was scheduled to kick off at the Rhode Island State House on May 2nd. We 're looking into setting up Skype/Facebook/Zoom events and writing workshops with the author for the month of May and will wait to see what happens with our summer programming.

We are hoping to go forward with the Rhode Island Festival of Children's Books and Authors in October and Feria del Libros y Las Artes in November.

Ending on a positive...grateful we got our visit in w/ Chelsea Clinton. Her book Start Now! is the elementary companion read to our 2020 Reading Across Rhode Island book Rising. We had a full day of activities with Chelsea including a visit to a public library that partners with community schools, an appearance on Story in the Public Square, with our partners at Rhode Island PBS and a presentation with three elementary and middle schools in Providence. She's a great speaker and was amazing with the kids. https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200303/chelsea-clinton-wows-south-providence-students-with-tales-from-white-house

I'm also interested in exploring the suggestions of seeing if there's anything we can do together such as a 24 hour event focused on literature, etc.!

Be well everyone. Looking forward to our next virtual meeting.

Kate