From: Center for the Book state centers communication <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Lamolinara, Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 3:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: working in the age of coronavirus

Dear Affiliates,

It is hard for me sometimes to believe how are lives and work activities have so drastically changed in just the past two weeks!

I just started teleworking last week and am still getting used to the lack of social interchange with my colleagues face-to-face. I have never teleworked before because I have always enjoyed coming into the office each day. It also puts me in a “work” mindset. The constant racket from the construction project next door is a constant and annoying distraction. If you know Alexandria, Va., and its historic district, then you know we all live in rowhouses in a densely populated neighborhood. I live in one of those rowhouses, attached on only one side. Right next door, about 12 feet away, they are erecting a large Sunrise senior living facility on what has been a parking lot for the entire 33 years I have lived in this house. At least when the times comes, I won’t have to move very far!

On a more serious level, I am writing to reach out and learn how all of you are coping, how your work, activities and plans have changed, and what I (and the Library of Congress) can do to support you. I can tell you we are planning to release online later this week the beginning of a series of reading and learning activities with some top authors who have agreed to work with us to reach out to young readers who are home from school. As soon as I have details, I will let you know. Perhaps it is something you can offer your users.

Can you tell us if you are engaging in any novel approaches to reaching your constituencies?

What activities have you been forced to cancel? Are you doing any virtual programming?

Are you involved in a state or local book festival? Are you making contingency plans?

Anything you would like to say to get the conversation going, please share.

Take care. I hope we return to “normal” soon, whatever the new normal may be.

Guy