Hi all,

I am revising our Metadata style guide for digital objects and have some
lingering questions about the application of "still image" and "text" in
<typeOfResource>. In our guide, we list examples of formats that would
apply to the Type of Resource options, including "still image" and "text."
We draw from the MARC Leader/6
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdleader.html> format assignments,
with formats in k mapping to "still image". For most resources, the type is
obvious based on the format (a photograph is a still image, a letter or
newspaper article is text).

Frequently, catalogers ask, though, about some corner cases, such as:

   - A newspaper clipping of a photo and a caption
   - A poster that is entirely text, though graphic in nature

Our mapping of formats to typeOfResource assigns posters to "still image"
and newspaper clippings, which are mostly articles in our archives, to
"text."

What does your institution do about cases like these? Do you map formats to
<typeOfResource> regardless of content?

Ultimately, I want consistent metadata, and a format-based mapping is a way
to better achieve this. I could though envision, for example, in the
formats mapped to "text", an item such as "newspaper clippings (exception:
clipping containing a photo and caption)".

Thanks!
Olivia

--
Olivia Solis, MSIS