Just my two cents, but it seems it doesn’t make sense to obsess about the details too much. I believe strongly in the idea that a book should be cataloged under the name given on the title page. But our authority files make it possible to know there is a relationship between Christie and Westmacott. There is nothing wrong with now using Christie as the main entry for new publications of those works. But there should at least be a 700 $t for Westmacott.

Ted Gemberling

UAB Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] two pseudonym questions

Agatha Christie wrote six romance novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott per the Westmacott authority. Currently there are three titles established under Westmacott in the LCNAF. All three have been republished in recent years as "by Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott." This raises several questions.

1. When this formulation is used, which is the correct choice for a work's authorized access point--the "by" name, or the "writing as" name? How should we interpret "Works by this author are entered under the name used in the item" in this case?

2. When all titles initially published under a pseudonym are republished under an author's better known identity, should the pseudonym change in LCNAF from a separate 100 to a 400 under the better known identity?

3a. If the 100 does become a 400, is it still appropriate to preserve 400 name/title entries established under a name no longer established separately? For example:

100 1 $a Christie, Agatha, $d 1890-1976. $t Giant's bread

400 1 $w nne $a Westmacott, Mary, $d 1890-1976. $t Giant's bread

3b. If a title published under the pseudonym was never established,  is it still appropriate to have 400 name/title entries under a name no longer established separately? For example:

100 1 $a Christie, Agatha, $d 1890-1976. $t Daughter's burden

400 1 $a Westmacott, Mary, $d 1890-1976. $t Daughter's burden

4. In these cases, if a pseudonym like Westmacott is preserved as a separate 100 identity and does not become a 400 for Christie, can both names appear as access points in bib records, e.g., one as 100 and the other as 700?

The catalog records entered under Westmacott in OCLC indicate a fair amount of uncertainty how to deal with these cases.

Thanks,

Stephen

--

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist