In the case of 776 fields containing a $w identifier which points to a
source bib record for a string of data including a name access point--I
figure the record identifier in subfield $w should be used by OCLC to
regenerate the string automatically, including the update to the name
access portion of the string. Weren't most of these generated automaticaly
in the first place?

I see OCLC's automated processes updating controlled bib headings. They
should be doing the same for the strings derived from updated bib records.
If not now, then someday.  Meanwhile, the subfield $w is a
suffiicient guarantee that the linkage persists in these cases.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota