But by this argument, anytime a person changes their name you would keep the access point for the name as found on the manifestation.  That's clearly not what RDA says to do.  For example, all of the works authored by Bruce Jenner in the 1970s through about 2015 are now entered under Caitlyn Jenner because Bruce Jenner/Caitlyn Jenner are not considered two different persons.  As Bob said, a work can have only one authorized access point, so if Westmacott's works are now entered under Christie, the access points on the earlier manifestations must be changed to Christie.  Whether Westmacott can then become an added entry on those works is an interesting question.  I could see an argument for those manifestations that have both names on them (Christie writing as Westmacott), but don't see how the rules justify adding both names on records where only one appears.  Of course, if at some point Westmacott gets treated as a variant name of Christie, then adding Westmacott is not possible at all.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Guy Vernon Frost <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: two pseudonym questions

I agree with Ted. It makes more sense to keep these works under their original name. That's how they would be searched in the OPAC because it was originally known by that name. You could add a 700 for Christie with the relationship in the $i Real identity: in the bibliographic record for additional access. There is a mechanism in place to connect all of the names, which would include the 400 Christie form.

Guy Frost, B.M.E., M.M.E., M.L.S., Ed.S.
Professor of Library Science/Catalog Librarian
Founder: New Age Movements, Occultism and Spiritualism Research Library (NAMOSRL)
NAMOSRL (
Vtext): https://vtext.valdosta.edu/xmlui/handle/10428/2169
NACO Georgia Funnel Coordinator
Odum Library/Valdosta State University