From:        Kerstin Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
To:        [log in to unmask]
Date:        22/04/2020 00:10
Subject:        Re: Ingestion into Digital Repository using EAD 3.0
Sent by:        Encoded Archival Standards List <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Athena,

thanks for your email and question. As Michele mentioned, and due to attachments not coming through via the list, it would be great if you could explain a little bit more about what your current situation is, what it is that you intend to do and where EAD3 comes into the picture as part of your scenario.

From what I understand, I assume that: Happy to chat in more detail :-)

Best wishes,
Kerstin

------
Kerstin Arnold (she/her/hers)
EAD team lead at Technical Subcommittee on Encoded Archival Standards

Technical Coordinator
Archives Portal Europe Foundation
https://www.archivesportaleurope.net/
https://www.archivesportaleuropefoundation.eu/

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or via our blog
Find more on our code and use of standards on GitHub

Am Mo., 20. Apr. 2020 um 19:58 Uhr schrieb MicheleR <[log in to unmask]>:

On 4/20/2020 5:18 AM, Athena wong wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> We are thinking to adopt EAD 3.0 schema to map with the descriptive metadata in
> our self developed catalogue system for ingestion into the digital repository.
> Our ingestion structure will be mainly TIFF files in a single folder for an item
> level and an access copy (in PDF format) illustrated in the diagram below. To
> start with scratches by mapping the EAD 3.0 with ISAD(G) fields in our catalogue
> system and produced the required metadata in XML for ingestion, are they any
> advices or tools recommended for us to start with.
> Your suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Athena --

Attachments don't come through on the list, so we can't see your diagram.  Is it
online somewhere, so you could provide a URL?  As it is, I'm not quite sure what
it is you're doing.  Are you saying that you want to use EAD to describe these
digital objects, and that the EAD will be ingested by your digital repository
somehow?

If so, could you explain why you've chosen EAD for this?  Not that it won't
work, but there are other schemas that were specifically designed for digital
object description (e.g. MODS) that might be a better match.

Or perhaps you're using EAD for your finding aids, and you want to point (or
link) to digital objects stored in your repository?

Michele
What is needed is a realization that
power without love is reckless and abusive, and
love without power is sentimental and anemic.
Power at its best is love
implementing the demands of justice, and
justice at its best is power
correcting everything that stands against love.
      ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.