From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of gary oliver
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2020 4:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] "Catalogs still supporting browsing"

Kevin,

I agree that a library catalog is a discovery tool, but I have never applied that phrase to one.   The context of the comment to me was Ebsco's one search and I certainly do not want a catalog to function like that "discovery system."

My view of catalogs is that they ought to function for all users; the least advanced to the most.

Our new catalog will not inform our speech path grad students that speech pathology, which I expect they would use, is a see reference to speech disorders.  Without browse, which would show the see reference, a subject search of speech pathology finds cluttering (speech pathology) and speech-language pathology (MESH), never informing the student there are 109 titles with speech disorders as a subject.

gary

I just want to celebrate another day of living -- Rare Earth