Interesting - so the script could be written to create a single or more than one <dao> per component depending on what it finds in the spreadsheet. I think in the very large majority of cases we'd be digitizing everything in a component, whether it is a folder or an item (as in the case of the collection's audio recordings).
Thanks so much.
Deena
(None of this is time sensitive right now....)
From: Encoded Archival Standards List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Michele R Combs
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2020 11:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EXT] - Re: Inserting folder links to digital files

**External Email**

Hi Deena --

Sure, I'm always around :)  Something else to keep in mind, as part of the planning process, is whether you will want the links to have different clickable text specific to each image (as opposed to an automatically inserted boilerplate, e.g. "Click to view digital image").   If your EAD only has a title for the folder, but you intend to digitize, say, 10-15 items from each folder, you might want to do this so that all 10-15 of those links don't have the same title.

If you want to do this, then as you digitize you may want to create/maintain a very basic spreadsheet with filename and desired title.  For example:

File name
Title
f1205-001.tif
Letter, Smith to Jones, page 1
f1205-002.tif
Letter, Smith to Jones, page 2
f1206-001.tif
Letter, Thomas to Adams
f1206-002.tif
Letter, Adams to Thomas
f1206-003.tif
Postcard, Smith to Thomas

This could then be incorporated by the script that inserts the link into the EAD.

*******
Michele Combs
Lead Archivist, Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University
315-443-2081