1. We are recording the authorized series in the Work description, and the
transcribed series in the Instance.
2. We are creating a work record for the series/serial title
3. We haven't really thought through the implications of this enough to
make a determination.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 3:54 PM Boehr, Diane (NIH/NLM) [E] <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 1.How are people handling series information for their monographs?
>

>    1. Are you only recording transcribed series information from a
>    monograph in the Series Statement of the Instance description or are you
>    also recording the authorized form of the series in the Work description”
>    In Series” element?
>

>    1. If the latter are you also creating a new work record for the
>    series/serial title?
>

>    1. Should we be able to record and group enumeration data with the
>    series/subseries URI in an In Series template in the Work description?
>

> Just an FYI re a practice we’re implementing at NLM while issues about
> series are still being worked out.  Although there are series/subseries
> enumeration fields in the instance template, there is no way to associate
> that with the correct title if you have more than one series.  We are
> advising our catalogers ignore the series/subseries enumeration fields and
> instead transcribe enumeration directly in the Series/Subseries statement.
>

> Diane Boehr
> Head, Cataloging and Metadata Management Section
> National Library of Medicine
> 8600 Rockville Pike MSC 3823
> Bethesda, MD 20894
> 301-480-1491

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Metadata and Emerging Technologies Librarian | University of Minnesota
Libraries
160 Wilson Library | 309 19th Ave. S. | Minneapolis, MN 55455
[log in to unmask] | (612) 625-0381
she, her, hers