Dear colleagues,

The website dedicated to EAD best practice in French libraries was moved to a different platform about a year ago. You can now find it at https://www.ead-bibliotheque.fr/. The original normative process dates back to 2008-2012 and work started some months ago on an update. French libraries use EAD 2002 and there are currently no plans to move to EAD3.

While working on the <date> element we wondered whether someone could provide a full example of use in an era and calendar other than Common era / Gregorian calendar. There aren't any records of such use in our dataset but we would like to illustrate the possibility, in case some collaborative projects require both the Gregorian calendar and another calendar.

Would the following be correct for a manuscript in Arabic, dating from 1656, with the scribe mentioning in the colophon that he finished his work on 27 Shaʿbān 1066?

<did>

    <unittitle>Histoire de la conquête de l'Égypte, copie achevée le <date era="ie" calendar="hijri" normal="10660829" type="autre calendrier">27 Sa'ban 1066 de l'hégire</date></unittitle>

    <unitdate era="ce" calendar="gregorian" normal="1656">1656</unitdate>.
[...]
</did>

In this example, I made 2 assumptions:

·         Islamic era abbreviated as “ie”

·         Islamic calendar indicated as “hijri”.

Is there a list of terms for eras and calendars and their use in the context of EAD?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Florent Palluault

EAD in libraries working group (France)

Florent PALLUAULT
Head of special collections
Poitiers public library
Médiathèque François-Mitterrand - 4 rue de l'Université - 86022 POITIERS - FRANCE