NLS Operations Alert

No. 20-36

DATE         :   June 5, 2020

TO             :   Network Libraries

FROM        :   Zaneta Watson, Head, Production Control Section

SUBJECT  :   Resumption of Recycling for Reuse and Magazine on Cartridge

Operations of several of NLS’s contractors and vendors have been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic over the last few months. However, as parts of the nation slowly begin to reopen, several NLS contractors have returned to their facilities to resume production.

As of June 1, both Magazine on Cartridge (MOC) producers have returned to their production facilities and begun recycling returned cartridges and distributing a backlog of magazines. Contingent on any delays that may be caused by local post offices, we are hopeful patrons will again have regular delivery of MOC by month’s end.

Also beginning June 1, VisionCorps has resumed recycling operations. Network libraries that received approval from the Network Services Section (NSS) prior to the shutdown may now resume shipments of cartridges and containers to VisionCorps. If your library has not received approval from NSS, you should contact Jocelyne Sharperson at [log in to unmask] for authorization to ship.

Despite the opening of various facilities, network libraries and patrons should still expect delays or disruptions in shipments of products including braille books, talking books, and braille magazines.

We appreciate your cooperation and flexibility. NLS is in close contact with all of our vendors and will continue to inform network libraries as we learn more about disruptions that impact patrons.

For more information, please contact: