I was browsing our local catalog and came across the subject heading “Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices) with continuo”—with no authority control!

I thought PUL might have deleted the authority record by mistaken. So I quickly searched in OCLC as well in LC online catalog—no, the AR is not there either. Instead, I saw an established sub-category “Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts) with continuo” (lccn: sh 85024799).  If I am not mistaken, the latter heading should have been absorbed by the former, to cover a wider range of voice arrangements, following this pattern: “Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices) with instrumental ensemble” (lccn: sh 85024813).

Incidentally, there IS a FAST heading: “Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices) with continuo. ǂ2 fast ǂ0 (OCoLC)fst01186820.” Where did it come from? From LCSH?

To index all related headings properly in our local database, we need this authority record.

I hope a music cataloger will look into this issue and help us out.

Thanks!

Yang