From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Wilson, Pete <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCCLIST] "Christmas stories" and similar subject headings

Hi,

There are certain LCSH headings like "Christmas stories" and "Hunting stories" which have long worried me a bit.

These headings have the cross references "Christmas - Fiction" and "Hunting - Fiction."  If you want to use a subject heading to say that a work is fiction about Christmas, you're led through the cross reference to the 150 "Christmas stories."  That's used instead of the topic + form combination "Christmas - Fiction."

Yet "Christmas stories" looks very like a form/genre heading.  And there's already a perfectly good LCGFT heading, "Christmas fiction."  So do you abandon your 650, instead using only a 655, "Christmas fiction?"

My guess is no.  Why should we not have a 650 to say that what we're cataloging is about Christmas?  We routinely give topical headings, subdivided  by form, to works of fiction, and "Christmas stories" is the authority-mandated substitute here for the topical heading "Christmas" subdivided by form "fiction."  I'm thinking that "Christmas stories" is perfectly acceptable as a 650 for a novel about Christmas.  (Not just for a collection of Christmas stories.  The novel would get the heading "Christmas - Fiction" were that not unacceptable, so it gets "Christmas stories.")

Does this sound correct?

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University