From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Monaco,Michael J
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] "Christmas stories" and similar subject headings

H 1790 section 4 does put fairly strict limits on SH for individual works of fiction. (Only used for biographical and historical fiction, basically.) The "Special provisions" at the end of H 1790 still refer to GSAFD headings, so IMO the section needs updating.

But per H 1790 section 4, you still only use very specific 650s. So "650 Deer hunting - Fiction" is ok, but "Hunting-Fiction" is too general. 655s are generally fine. If I understand H 1790.

Mike Monaco (he/him)
Coordinator, Cataloging Services
261B Bierce Library
The University of Akron