I would LOVE to be able to apply Christmas Stories to a work *about* the specific genre of Christmas stories and Christmas-fiction to a novel where Christmas features prominently.

Jessica

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Adam L Schiff
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] "Christmas stories" and similar subject headings

Actually, LC policy would be to add the form heading for a collection of stories in a 650 field in addition to the 655.

650 _0  Baseball stories.
655 _7  Sports stories. $2 lcgft

The drama headings are even more problematic, because we use $v Drama for both plays and moving image works.  So if you try to assign

650 _0  Lawyers $v Drama

it gets turned into

650 _0  Legal drama.

But Legal drama is a term restricted to plays, so for a film you can't have a 650 at all with the concept.

I have suggested to LC in the past that they delete the UF references so that a cataloger could assign Lawyers $v Fiction or Lawyers $v Drama to an individual work and then add the appropriate LCGFT term in 655: Legal fiction (Literature), Legal drama (Literature), or Legal films or Legal television programs, but they have not wanted to make such a change.  And it would still leave the headings Legal fiction and Legal drama in LCSH to be used for works ABOUT those genres.  That might also be difficult for catalogers to apply, however, and could result in people including both Legal fiction and Lawyers--Fiction to a record.  Which might not be too terrible really.

Adam Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries